Sunday 4 November 2012

a little bit of the history of the house

history of the house :-

The area the village stands on is limestone, the limestone has fossils in it, lots & lots of them, all of sea creatures because in pre history it was sea bed, hard to believe when you  are well above sea level & 30km in from the coast, but when we removed a small barn wall that was beyond repair every time a stone fractured it seems we found a fossil, when we dug out to make a patio....more fossils, my kids & visiting kids were delighted & they kept a collection of the best.

The name of the farmhouse & its road was at some time mis-spelt bye some official ( blame wine with lunch perhaps?), & it is not a french word found in any dictionary so no one knew what it  was supposed to mean,even the french owners had no idea, until a conversation brought to light the fact that the farm was once famed as a producer of strawberries, once this was known & by adding in the missing letter..'I'..& voilla! the name means 'STRAWBERRY MAKER'!!

my house was 1 of a pair of houses built by brothers - who it seemed did not get on well,
on inheriting the farm the brothers divided the land up & each built a new large house, abandonning the original farmhouse,

the even older original farmhouse still stands, & is also for sale by separate contract - this ancient property is possibly several hundred years older than my farmhouse.

the property is available to buy as a whole or in parts , the main house its barns & gardens are 1 part, the older house ruin with its barn wall & gardens is the 2nd part, parts 3&4 are building plots of roughly 600m2

1 comments:

  1. Is really good. Excellent! Wonderful! This is my 1st comment her. This is very fascinating and Very nice web site. Fantastic blog for read, I know that you are a very skilled blogger. I will bookmark your site.
    Great article! Well written and nicely presented. I hope all reader will enjoy and keep up the share. I absolutely appreciate this website for you sharing this information here. It was a brilliant post. I have recently started a blog, the information you provide on this website has helped me greatly. I'm extremely inspired together with your writing abilities.
    I hope that you are Continue the good work. Thanks for you’re sharing …..
    “IMPERIAL VALLEY REALTOR”

    ReplyDelete